Thursday, December 15, 2005

Flaming Snowballs!

I found this lovely image somewhere on the internet and was very intrigued by it. A dessert that can soar through the air and so festive at that! There was no recipe so I made one up partly with a little inspiration from an old recipe about making "snowballs" from cupcakes.
So here are mine, I took the photo at an angel to give it that flying through the air look...

My how-to: Any flavor cake will do. I used chocolate just because I had some batter left over but red velvet cake or coconut or even strawberry would be neat. Only fill the cupcake wells about half full. Bake even number of cupcakes. Let cool, cut tops to make flat. Ice the tops of 2 cupcakes and stick together; top to top. Ice sides. Cover in flaked coconut. Pipe green leaves on top. Add red candies such as m&m's or red hots. Place candle. Light and stand back just in case they take flight!

Now, the top photo says 'ice cream'. Which could be done by making a ball of ice cream and covering it in coconut. Or perhaps, the recipe I wrote above could have the cupcakes hollowed out and ice cream put in the center. I do not , however, recommend throwing them on a plate like a frisbee as a serving suggestion! I have a feeling the spoon wouldn't stay on the plate like the picture shows!

update: Barb from Woof Nanny found the recipe for the ice cream version of the snowballs !

6 comments:

debi said...

When I was a kid my mom would buy these for us at Chistmas time, mainly because we saw them in the freezer section and haaaaaad to have them. They were mainly vanilla ice cream rolled in coconut and decorated just like yours. I don't recall cake being involved. They may have had something in the center of them, but I don't remember...I was dazzled by the marketing. Yours look lovely!!

Jennifer W. said...

I love all these "out there" desserts! You must have so much fun making them!

woof nanny said...

I love all things coconut. Anything that even remotely resembles a Snowball has got to be good.

Anonymous said...

They look really...cool (sorry I had to). Your cooking reconstructions are my favourite part of your blog!

Anonymous said...

I had these when I was a kid too!! I loved them. The ice cream with coconut. And they did have a red candle on top just like the picture. I did see them one year at Safeway west coast in Ca. But I don't remember seeing them last year :( What a wonderful Christmas childhood memory!

Unknown said...

I always had these for my boys at Christmas Sobeys sold them in packages of 4. Nicely decorated with two green leaves a d1 red candle. I'm going to try and make them just icecream balls rolled in coconut I think