Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Andy Griffith TV Land Landmark

The last Andy inspired installment of the Mt. Airy, NC (Mayberry) vacation. This statue was installed on the lawn in front of the Andy Griffith Playhouse as part of a special ceremony on September 24th 2004 to kick off the town's annual 15th Mayberry Days celebration. Andy Griffith was there himself for the unveiling. This is one of two Andy and Opie statues done by TV Land. The first one was erected in Pullen Park, Raleigh, NC. I don't really understand why they chose to put the first one up there. Sure they mentioned the town of Raleigh on the Andy Griffith Show many a time but the show wasn't based there.



Here are some close ups.




















There are 4 other TV Land Landmarks depicting other classic TV characters in their corresponding cities. I would really like to go see the Bob Newhart one. It looks really cool and I love that show. Once TV Land had a commercial were they just sang "Bob Newhart" over and over with the theme song playing in the background. It made me laugh and I liked singing along with it... the words were easy enough to remember.

One last stop to make in Mt. Airy then it's time to unpack!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are all the cool stuff on the East Coast!!!?!!!
Thank you so much for sharing all of your trip, it has been a fun ride.
Christina

Pendullum said...

I thought that statue was pretty great...
Thanks for sharing it!

Monica said...

I love the statue, I have to go find the Ralph one in NYC which is close to me

Anonymous said...

There is a statue of Mary Tyler Moore throwing her hat in the air on the corner of 7th and Nicollet in Minneapolis MN right where she did it in the intro to the show.

Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

The saddest part about the statue in Raleigh is that it was vandalized several times soon after placement.

I mean, who would do that?