Sunday, October 15, 2006

Creepy Labels


Have you seen the new craft magazine out called Creative TECHniques yet? It features crafting projects that can be done using your home computer and printer along with some tutes on software. The fall 2006 edition is out right now and has quite a few pretty cool projects. This being one of them. It is a project for turning plain whiskey-ish bottles into "fun" bottles of embalming fluid!

Supplies:
images
interesting glass bottle (I found mine left empty on a bench in a park...Honestly. Hey, it was free! )
mod podge
small amount strong brewed coffee or tea
water tinted with food coloring
a couple of paint brushes

How-To:
In your computer, if needed, resize images. Print. Cut out labels. Age paper, if deserved, with strong tea or coffee by applying on with a paintbrush. Let dry. Affix to bottle with mod modge. Paint coat of mod podge on adhered label. Fill bottle with colored water. Done.

A number of these in different sizes and shapes with varying colors of water would make a really neat Halloween centerpiece. Also soaking off labels on full bottles of wine or other liquors and then applying on these labels instead, would be a grand idea for a party or gift.

Oh! And Martha-online has these creepy candy jar labels
worth doing something with as well.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gave your blog a Shout-Out today =)

Anonymous said...

Those labels are really cool! Just what I need, another project.

Anonymous said...

i love this! I did a big old bottle of nasty looking green "poison" like this! Those labels are great.

Colleen Gleason said...

Neat stuff. What a cool blog!

I'll be back.

msdramateacherlady said...

What fun! I'm going to have to try that.

Anonymous said...

that IS a really creepy label!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Those bottles are actually quite beautiful.I wish you were decorating and photographing your real house this season ,because it would have just the right amount of quirk and beauty!

Mrs Pretzel said...

Hey! I love this! I did some similar things on my mantle. Here's the link. There are close ups of the bottles I made at the bottom of the second post with pics. I used scrapbooking chalk to age the labels. One hint for bottles that you'd like to not have to redo year after year, is to use rubbing alcohol in place of plain water with your food coloring. Sorry to plug here, I try not to do that, but showing you the pics is just way easier than actually explaining it.
http://minetothine.blogspot.com/2006/10/spooktacular-pictures-part-one.html
Love your blog and all your finds!

rachel

sulu-design said...

So happy to have found your blog today through Jess Hutch's. I'm loving your post from a few days ago with the apple lips idea for Halloween - I'm gonna do it with my third grade students on Tuesday. Great reconstructed shirt (a few days back), too!

Petula Darling said...

I hope you had a great halloween even thought you didn't have time to do a lot of decorating. Any chance you'll tell us what is keeping you so busy?

two rabbits said...

just leaving a note to say I have been missing your posts!

hope everything is ok.

Gina said...

cool ideas!

Debbie Doughty said...

miss your posts. hope everything is ok and you are just busy living...

Anonymous said...

What happended with you? Did you fall off the face of the earth?!
Miss reading here and I do hope that everything is ok where you are and that everyone is healthy.
-Christina