Monday, July 14, 2014

Let's Go Shopping!

 Here are some highlights from our most recent grocery store field trip!  We visited two older stores in our town and got to see interesting foods, vintage styled food labels, and various vintage grocery store "parts"...like shelving, cases, signs and decor.  The camera on my phone is horrible, not even doing 'instagram' effects and filters can help, so I had to snag images from the nets of some of the items we saw.
  Looking up the history of  the companies that produce the older styled food labels is another fun element involved with the field trips.  I am hoping one day to find a company that isn't based too far away and gives factory tours!

When we go to these small home town stores,  I picture that everything will look like this.....including me, while we are there.

So here are some of the goods!
First up is Blackburn Syrup, since 1927.
I couldn't find much info about them. They are based out of Jefferson, TX. and also make jellies and jams.  We bought this syrup and used it on our blueberry pancakes.  It's average as syrups go...sticky, messy and sweet.



Double Luck Green Beans
I love their packaging!  I can not find much info other than a possibility Del Monte owns the company and Double Luck foods are their scraps.  I have seen this brand at a couple of stores (Big Lots, Wall's Mart) with corn and sweet peas as other available varieties. I have purchased the corn before and it is my favorite of the canned corn world.

Humpty Dumpty Eggs
Horrible image, I know.  But the packaging is super cute with a graphic of the Dumpty boy on a wall, if you can find it in person.  The company was founded in 1948 and is part of Eggland's Best company.


Porkies Pork Rinds
Porkies company started in 1948 and are located in Cudahy, Wisconsin.  They have been in the same building since 1953.  They make a large variety of pork products that involve feet, gizzards, hocks and "tidbits". They also have dill pickles with pretty cool packaging.


It took a bit of digging to find their info and website.  Ruby Brand started up during the 1940s in New York City.  Their website has a wonderful catalog of their products, all with this same lovely graphic design.  They are all canned items, some of which include: olives, pineapple, tuna, mushrooms, mandarin oranges, and snails.  I think my favorite can of theirs is the Whole Baby Corn. 




Argo Starch
I could not find any info about Argo Starch's history, other than some people have cravings to eat the stuff...which you shouldn't do.

I have picked up a bit of an obsession over older grocery stores lately and happened to find this British repro  Tesco Super Market that was a part of a vintage car show back in 2011.  All of the inside of the store was set up to look mid century! There are far more pics in the link.  

And I found some real mid century grocery market photos.
Let's see what she is buying... In her shopping cart is Wonder Bread, Domino sugar, Kellogg's Frosted Flakes, Jell-o, and Dash detergent.  I wonder what the two hooks on the front of the cart are for hanging... I don't see a seat area for a child, hmmm....

I have a  Grocery Market pinterest board if you need more Jumbo Value, 29 cent special, wrapped in cellophane, free with 16 wrappers from Daisy Bread grocery marting goodness!
 {Last summer's grocery field trip, if you are so inclined: Pork Brains and Milk Gravy}

1 comment:

Jennilee said...

Hi, Mary!

I did a little research and found that Argo laundry starch was first manufactured in 1908! You can still purchase it online from Lehman's!