Monday, August 15, 2016

Pineapple Upside Down Cake


Two summers ago I attempted to make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake which was a huge disaster.  This was because my oven was acting up and I refused to "call the man" to get it fixed.  I spent about 3 months doing all my baking in the toaster oven or my Easy Bake Oven to prove some kind of point. That first pineapple upside down cake took the route of toaster oven baking and resulted in a scorched mess... I bet it would have worked in the Easy Bake Oven though.  Hmmmm.... Maybe next time.

After letting the smoke clear out of the kitchen, I thought I may try this recipe again, except using an actual adult sized oven this time.

The cake turned out perfect!
Verdict ruling at this time is to use a real oven for best results.  I do think the Easy Bake could do it in a pinch as well, you just have to wait 20 minutes for each piece to bake.


image source

This is the recipe I kinda went with.  I used pineapple slices instead of crushed pineapple and no nuts.  I used a boxed cake mix and baked at the temperature recommended on it.
The text on the recipe is a bit hard to read so here is what it says:

"First prepare the Upside-down topping:
Melt 6 tablespoons of butter or margarine in an 8 inch square pan or 9 inch round pan or skillet.  Sprinkle with 2/3 cup brown sugar, arrange over sugar 2 cups (no. 2 can) drained "crisp cut" Dole crushed pineapple.  Decorate with maraschino cherries and pecan halves.  A perfect dessert when made with an easy-to-prepare cake mix or your own favorite cake recipe."


No comments: