Thursday, February 13, 2020

Valoween Decor


💘👻To set the ghostly loving mood for Valoween, I crafted up some spooky desire decor!👻💘


"Just ghost to show you, I'm batty about you, Valentine!"


"Don't scare me, be my valentine!"


"I'm haunting for a Valentine.  Do I have a ghost of a chance with you?"


"Just ghost to show you, You're the one for me!"


"Valentine, I'm Imp-atient, so be mine"


"I get that devilish feeling valentine, when my heart burns for you"



"You bewitch me, Valentine"


"I feel it in my bones, you're my Valentine"

💘 💀 💘 💀 💘

Valentine's Day and Halloween are two of my favorite holidays.  It's time they were squished into a new celebration, Valoween!
There are actually quite a few vintage kid's Valentine cards out there featuring spooky love amongst creepy creatures such as skeletons, ghosts, witches, devils, bats, and monsters perfect for this new holiday.  I went with those images as my main inspiration.  I printed out a selection of these cards in small and larger sizes as the primary Valoween decor pop.
My next step in decorating was to consider what colors are typical for both holidays.  Halloween being black, orange, purple, green. and though a stretch, red.   A Valentine's Day palette is red, pink, and white.  Orange, pink, purple, and green will not work for cross over.  An orange heart or a pink pumpkin would look ridiculous.  Also I had to eliminate certain icons of Halloween such as pumpkins or jack-o-lanterns, because again, they would just look dorky in my Valoween setting.  I decided to go with the color scheme of red, white, and black along with picking symbols I thought would do well in both settings (such as ghosts, skeletons, spiders, bats, and tombstones).
I was able to pull together several items from among my Halloween decor that worked out well with the theme.
One item I incorporated into the set was a skull trick-or-treat bucket I picked up at a thrift store a few years back. It always kinda irked me that the eyes were red because I don't do red in my Halloween decorating, but it works really well as a Valoween vase of red camellias.  My blow mold ghosts which usually carry little plastic pumpkins got switched out for some plastic jelly hearts pulled off of a strand of Valentine lights. Everything Halloween got a douse of Valentine and vice versa.   I think I spent a grand total of 2.15 for the decor this year, which was for the red paper doily hearts and a pack of red glittery heart stickers, both from dollar tree.
Another theme I included was creating sets of pairs since Valentine's is usually seen as a holiday for couples.  There are pairs of spiders, ghosts, and skeletons along with even a vintage print of a human pair making out in a cemetery!

There are a ton of other vintage valentine cards that feature interesting subjects, such as cigarettes, hard boiled eggs, or mud....oh, the possibilities for future themes!

👻 💘 👻 💘 👻


{For the images I used creep over to my Spooky Love Pinterest Board}


2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Fabulous, Mary!! I am not a huge fan of either holiday, but I think I could get behind Valoween!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Jennilee, I can't believe after all these years I have not roused you to Halloween's side....we have candy! Lots and lots of candy!

~mary~