Friday, February 26, 2021

Fats Domino


Celebrating one of my favorite performer's birthdays today...Fats Domino!

February 26, 1928 - October 24, 2017
 

Although The Dairy Farmers of Canada (1957) are toting these domino bars as Christmas goodies I thought they would be a fun Fats Domino inspired treat.


These domino confectionaries are sweet, rich, and scrumptious!  Here are a few helpful hints on construction because they didn't come together so smoothly.  Make a double batch of the vanilla pudding because the recommended amount is not enough.  I also had an issue with placing the melted chocolate layer over the soft vanilla.  It swirled into the vanilla thus preventing the solid top needed to decorate with the domino look.  I decided to use that first application like a 'crumb layer' for a cake to give a solid ground and placed it in the fridge to harden.  I then gave it another coating of melted chocolate to finish the top.  I would recommend coating the dish with cooking spray because the bars stuck.  And cutting them out in general was difficult and not too many turned out looking photogenic....but they do taste amazing, so eat them blindfolded. 


 Fats Domino is such a phenomenal legend in music.  It has always comforted me over the years knowing that amazing talents such as him were still with us on earth.  I would randomly say to Mr. Husband, "Guess what is awesome?  Fats Domino! and he's still alive!"

In September 2017 Mr. Husband sent a birthday card to Fats to autograph for my birthday.
Then sadly, Fats passed away the following month.


Pre-pandemic I enjoyed his music simply for it's upbeat fun. But now it's a become a kind of treatment for my mental blues.  If you need some Fats Domino healing here he is performing for Austin City Limits in 1986:


Happy Birthday dearest Fats.

1 comment:

Jennilee said...

I love Fats Domino, too! Awesome to have a signed birthday card :)

Those domino bars look good! I may have to try making them sometime. Hope all is well with you!