Monday, October 30, 2023

Frito Kid Halloween Party


Frito Kid Party 1954 is back with October's offering...A Halloween Party! 


The menu includes:
Glazed apples on sticks rolled in crushed Fritos
Popcorn balls
Punch


I decided to not do "glazed" apples as I think they mean "candied".  Anytime I can avoid using a candy thermometer I will.  I decided to do caramel apples but even there I took a short cut.  I found these inexpensive caramel 'tortillas'  that you wrap on your apples called 'Wrapples'.  After you wrap the apples you place them in a low temp oven and the caramel will ooze down making none the wiser that you didn't hand dip these babies.  The instructions also have a short cut for this...Put them in the microwave instead.  With all the busyness of the season I need all the short cuts I can get.  Take it from me...Do Not Microwave your Apples.  I only did one to test it out so luckily the whole batch wasn't ruined.  The microwave heat rotted the apple from within and didn't do much for melting the caramel.  I decided to take the short, short cut and just wrapped my apples, not heating at all and call it done.  I thought about trying out using a hair dryer to get the caramel soft enough to pick up the crushed chips but it wasn't necessary.  The caramel is plenty sticky.
The apples are really good with having the tartness of the Granny Smith, the sweetness of the caramel, and then topped with the salty crunch of the Fritos.


 For the popcorn balls I make more of a rice crispy treat recipe idea.  It's pre-popped Brimm's Butter popcorn, marshmallows, and a bit of butter.  You could add in some crushed Fritos but the buttered popcorn already supplies a good amount of salty.


For the punch we had Cinnamon Apple Cider, premade from the grocery store.

Here are all the additional deets if you are wanting to go all out for your own Frito Kid Halloween Party!


For the past Frito Party Goodness check out the below posts:

No comments: