Thursday, November 30, 2023

$4,000 Half-Time Spoon Rolls


These rolls come from the 1950 second annual Pillsbury Bake-Off, taking home the $4,000 prize.
Mine don't quite look as light as the original and probably taste a bit off since my yeast happened to expire back in 2020.  I "inherited" a cache of yeast after my mom passed away.  She was one of the many that jumped on the sourdough bandwagon during quarantine and she bought up a shit ton of the stuff.  I don't really do any yeast baking since it's such a waste of time and energy for all the prep nonsense that goes into it but since all the packets were "bestowed" upon me I finally got around to trying some of it.  
The rolls turned out pretty good even though they were a bit dense, more of a yeast biscuit. 
 I need to figure out something else I can use up the rest of this yeast stuff on since it's rising capabilities are quite past their life expectancy.  Yes, I know I can use it as garbage but that seems wasteful.  If anybody has ideas for extremely expired yeast, let me know.  I'm kinda thinking pizza crust, but non- food options would be interesting too.  Maybe it could be some kind of bug/critter repellant that has yet to be discovered.


 

No comments: