Monday, September 26, 2005

Tomato Soup Cake

A cake made with tomato soup!? I made this last night but made sure to keep the 'secret ingredient' from my victims until after they ate it! I didn't want them to already expect it to taste like tomatoes with icing. Not too appetite appeasing! They really liked it and were more amazed than disgusted by the fact it had soup in it. So...Okay..The end.. Oh, you want to know how it tasted? Well, actually, it tasted like a carrot spice cake! Really! It is the first cake that I have made that wasn't from a box and it was just a little dry but that could have been my fault. I think I might have let it bake a schmingeon too long. Here is the recipe if you dare:
*********************************************
Tomato Soup Cake
2 cups sifted cake flour 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or mace
1 can (1 1/4 cups) condensed tomato soup
1 cup seedless raisins
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and spices. Wash and cut raisins.(roll in a small amount of the flour mixture.)Cream shorting; add sugar gradually; then eggs, mixing thoroughly. Add flour mixture alternately with soup; stir until smooth. Fold in raisins. Pour into two greased and floured 8-inch layer pans; bake in a moderate oven (375 degrees) about 35 minutes, or until done. 8 servings. Frost as desired.(I used premade cream cheese frosting, which I think kinda helped give the taste illusion of carrot cake)

*****************************************************
Of coarse, I didn't follow the recipe completely. Like I say "a recipe is only suggestions". Instead of powdered cloves , I just added an schminge more cinnamon and nutmeg. And, by the way, I assumed that they meant baking soda not Dr. Pepper! But I do have a cook booklet that is all about cooking with Dr. Pepper and it has a cake recipe in it..........Okay, must locate it and make Dr.Pepper cake has been added to my To-Do list!

1 comment:

Miss RM said...

Funny, I was just thinking about this cake after reading some of your other posts and reminiscing about jell-o based desserts. I was going to ask Mom if she still had the recipe and then I saw your post. How did I miss it before??