Monday, January 16, 2017

It's Girl Scout Cookie Time!


This year marks the 100 anniversary of Girl Scout cookies! Girl Scout cookie season is upon us as well...just in time to break all of those New Year resolutions to lose weight!
We'll be having a week long cookie jamboree here on MHICTY to honor the centennial celebration.

Here's a crumb of history about how it all began:
Originally the cookies were home baked by each troop as a fund raiser and service project in 1917. It was an instant success and many other troops ate up the idea also, having their own bake sales. In 1922, American Girl (a Girl Scout magazine), published a sugar cookie recipe for girls nation wide to follow and sell. 
  By the late 1930s home baking could not keep up with the demand and commercial bakers were called in to meet the need.  In 1944 when rationed ingredients (eggs, milk, sugar, chocolate) were in short supply, the Girl Scouts adapted by selling less tasty calendars. Over the next decades, many different cookies have come and gone.  The most popular cookie is the Thin Mint, which was introduced in 1939.  It accounts for 25% of sales.  My favorite cookie, Samoas, was introduced in 1975 and comes in close second place with 19% of sales.

I was in Girl Scouts when I was in second and third grade.  I really enjoyed it.  I remember I won top cookie sales in my troop one year.  Which wasn't because I knocked on lots of doors.  I only had to go to one door, my grandmother's.  My grandmother loved Thin Mints and bought them by the case full.  She stashed them in her deep freezer, parceling them out over the year until she could restock at the next Girl Scout Cookie Season.

image source
Girl Scout publicity photo circa 1961


I love old food packaging and advertisements.  I spent some time searching the nets for the best examples representing Girl Scout cookies of yesteryear.  So grab a glass of milk and enjoy!

image source
circa 1949

circa 1940's

image source
Circa 1960's

Circa 1950's

circa 1951

Circa 1950's

More cookie goodness to come!

No comments: