Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Dead Eye Optical and Funeral Parlor


I love to enter contests, especially ones that it takes creativity to win (not just drawing a name out of a hat).  This Halloween a local eyeglass store was sponsoring a pumpkin decorating contest where the staff voted on their favorite as the winner.  The prize was a 150 dollar gift certificate to the store.  I could use new glasses so I decided to enter.  To help boost up my odds of winning I went with a Halloween optical theme.


  My design is suppose to resemble an early 1900s store front of a combined Optician and Funeral Parlor.   The opening of the pumpkin was to look like you were peering into a window but I couldn't get the idea to come together and the sign was going to hang from little pieces of chain and swing but that idea didn't pan out either.   I cut the little eyeglasses out from paper for the skeletons, very tedious.  Inside the window are a couple of coffins and extra eyes on the walls.  The primary sign and the eyes on the walls and tombstones are prints of actual early 1900 optical store signs.  I made a little eye chart for the background that I cut out letters to spell out "EVIL" and had it lit with a mini battery powered set of lights.


Here is a better image of the eye chart all aglow.  This is one of those projects that I didn't feel was one of my most successful but I entered the contest anyway....and WON!  Yay! I don't think they had very many enter the contest so I had that in my favor...but I'll take what I can get!

I only have til December to use my certificate so I am sure I'll be posting images with some new specks in the near future!

Here are few past posts on Halloween Contests I have entered:
Robble Robble
Ellie's spine tingling Deteriorated Chia Pet Costume

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

That's awesome, Mary! I love the light up eye chart...so cute! Congratulations on your win!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks! I have an eye appointment scheduled at the beginning of Dec. which was the soonest my optician had an opening. I'll have to beat cheeks to get the frames picked out and installed before the certificate expires at the end of the year!

~mary~