Thursday, November 03, 2005

Hot Rod Kustom birthday cake

Here is a hot rod kustom birthday cake I made. The images are prints of old hot rod mags and a kustom rod. I covered the images in clear contact paper so the icing would not seep in and mess up the ink. The black stars are leftover royal icing stars I made for this wedding cake. The dice are plastic cupcake picks I got from a cake shop a while back. I thought the picks were neat but had no idea what I was going to use them for but now I think I need more, more, more! The plastic spider is of the typical Halloween staple type.  I also put real nuts and bolts around the top edge. I decided to put the whole 32 candles on the cake because I thought that would be cool looking with this fire thing going on behind the picture of the HOT rod! ( I generally put only enough candles for decorative purposes! ha ha). How did that go? Not too good! They started to warp the car on the top and threatened to catch it ablaze.
Now if the exterior of the cake wasn't animated enough, the inside has something going on also! I used the Betty Crocker ~Bake and Fill~ Cake pan set and  decided to put ice cream inside it:




It ain't too pretty, but tasted good! I will take some of the blame for this mishap though. I didn't have time to freeze it for HOURS after putting the ice cream in the center cavity. With this cake pan set it calls for 2 cake mixes however only about 1 1/2 are used. They recommend using the left over batter for cupcakes, which I made for Sunday's dessert.


I sprinkled them all with black sugar and then put a plastic Halloween detail on top. The severed witch's finger with a spider ring was my fave!

As you can see, I drag out Halloween for as long as I possibly can!

1 comment:

Cynthia F said...

wow!! that cake is incredible! and the cupcakes are so cute (i'm also a big halloween fan & leave most of the decorations out all year!)