Thursday, February 15, 2018

Be Mine! Sweetheart Cake




"Clad in swirls of delicate pink frosting and boasting a heart of spicy red-cherry filling, this Sweetheart Cake is a sentimental way to court the favor of your valentine."


For Valentine's Day this year, I decided to make this lovely icing clad cake.  I actually ran out of icing so I had to do the lettering with some left over red gel icing in a tube.  It turned out kinda bloopy texted compared to the original from 1953.  The cake is just chocolate from a mix but I added cherry pie filling to it.  The description in the ad called for a heart formed from spicy red cherries...maybe I should have added some Tabasco to the cherry mix and molded it into a cardiac form?! The small red hearts flanking the edges are oversized sprinkles made by Wilton.  I have had them for a year (clearance last year 50% off score!) so you may not be able to purchase them in current times.  I can't find a "best by'' date on the container so that translates to me as "Good forever". 


 I'm sure the sprinkles are fine....If anything they might cause some artificially red hued holiday colored meadow muffins.  Nothing but the best sentiments to court favor with my valentines!

No comments: