Thursday, February 08, 2018

Simpson Cookies




Mr. Husband Sir and I just had own 21st "Metting Day" a few weeks back.  No, "Metting Day" isn't some obscure Simpson's reference.  It's something PB came up with several years back.  It's the day that we first met...therefore it's our "Metting Day".


For own first Valentine's Day back in 1997,  I made Mr. Boyfriend a batch of Simpson cookies from these exact cutters.


I have made these cookies for him several times over the past years.  Normally I leave them dough skin colored and icing-less, along with using a pre-fab sugar cookie mix.  How boring.  This year I decided to try out a few improvements.  I used a recipe for sugar cookies that I got from PB's second grade teacher (5 years ago), which I hadn't tried out yet.  It is perfect!  It holds the shape of the cookie and doesn't spread while baking.  I also tinted the dough Simpson's flesh yellow.  
I then made icing to add some umph to the features and painted it on with a paint brush.  I made the brown Homer stubble by adding a bit of cocoa powder to some of the icing.  To achieve the vibrant red on Maggie's pacifier and Marge's necklace I first painted on white icing and let it dry.  Then I mixed a tad of red gel dye with a double tad of coconut extract in a small container, then painted it on over the dried white icing.
Mr. Husband and PB showed how much they liked all of my hard work by finishing them off in 24 hours (I helped too!).


Sugar Cookie Recipe:
1 cup butter
2/3 cup Sugar
1 egg
1 tsp coconut extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar.  Beat in egg and flavorings.  Combine flour and salt in separate bowl.  Stir into butter mixture.  Cover and chill for 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease cookie sheet.  Roll cookies in flour to 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut and bake 8-9 minutes.  Ice when cooled.

Icing:
1 1/2 cup confectioner sugar
1 tbsp milk
Food Coloring

Sift sugar into glass bowl, add milk, and stir.  If icing is too stiff, add more milk.  Divide into number of colors desired and tint.  Spread on cooled cookies.  Icing will set when completely dry.  Store in airtight container.

Here a few more Simpson-y past posts:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute cookies! What brand are the cookie cutters? Would like to try to find them.

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks for the compliment! I have had these cookie cutters for about 25 years. They are official "The Simpsons" merch. Your best bet would be to check eBay.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quick response! I'll keep looking. Best to you.

my house is cuter than yours said...

Correction! I bought them 31 years ago! I did a quick check on ebay (they had several sets for sale). Made by Wilton, dated 1990 and go for ~20 bucks. I bought mine when I was in middle school out of a big shopping cart of clearance items at Albertson grocery store for a few bucks.