Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Tuna Casserole



Tuna Casserole...part of our white trash heritage.
I had never made a Tuna Casserole before.  I figured I could go my whole life without ever having to do so.  Lord knows I had to eat enough of the nasty stuff growing up, as did Mr. Husband.  However he has this weird thing where he "every now and again" gets a hankering for something gross from his childhood, such as a fried bologna sandwich.  After he has the horrific delicacy he says he is good for another 20 years.  Since I was trying to come up with meals from our food stash I noticed we had a crap ton of canned tuna.  Normally we just eat it straight up as a quick lunch but I thought it could be fun to surprise Mr. Husband with one of his comfort meals.


I searched for recipes online and most of them involve a can of creamed soup...of course.  I don't ever have that on hand so I searched for a more 'refined' recipe.  Thank you Martha Stewart!  Hers has a base of WHITE SAUCE!



As I mentioned before I made this dish as a surprise for Mr. Husband.  I figured he would guess what I was doing by the fetid aroma but he has absolutely no sense of smell, so my secret stayed safe.  I was in a giddy mood while making this and was singing "I'm picking out a thermos for you!" ala Steve Martin in The Jerk, as my way of saying I was making him a "gift".
When we sat down to eat he still couldn't figure out what I had made.  When I told him, he said "....oh..." so I guess he was just kidding about his tuna casserole desire...  Oh well!  It's dinner for the next two nights.  I was able to choke it down with an abundance of lemon pepper seasoning.

4 comments:

Jennilee said...

When I was growing up, my mom would make a casserole with noodles, Velveeta cheese, and cubed Spam. It was horrid! Tuna casserole is a very close second, though we didn't eat it as often. You are much braver than I (and probably a better wife!), because I wouldn't have made it. lol! Thankfully, DH doesn't like tuna.

my house is cuter than yours said...

Noodles, velveeta, and spam.... That is a concoction! Your yearly dose of sodium in just one meal!

I like tuna salad, but hot tuna is just not my thing.

I don't think it will be something Mr. Husband asks for again. I mean, I made it correctly, but it was more of a memory thing for him. That's what he gets for voicing his hankerings. Spam is another one for him. Maybe I'll make him your mom's dish!

~mary~

Rob and Monica said...

My mom used to make tuna casserole sometimes when I was a kid. No spam was involved but there was definitely macaroni and tuna and cheese and I liked it! (Rob)

my house is cuter than yours said...

Rob~
Your mom's is a combo of mine and Jennilee's! Very interesting! Was it velveeta that was used for the cheese?

~mary~