Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Gildy's Blade

 

I have a real gem to share today!

"Gildy's Blade" from the Radio Program The Great Gildersleeve, 1950


Mr. Husband loves to listen to old radio programs from the mid 1900s.  One of his favorites is The Great Gildersleeve.  There is a particular episode were Gildy invents his own kitchen tool that has a duel knife edge with one side being serrated and the other not, along with the tool also serving as a handy dandy spatula...perfect for spreading Parkay with (who just so happened to be the show's sponsor!).
I spent a couple of years searching for this knife on ebay for Mr. Husband and finally found one but not listed as such.  I was perusing ebay kinda half heartedly looking for a vintage cake server.  Of course there was no way I was ever going to pay ebay prices for one but it's fun to look.  I came across a seller that pretty much only sold servers and knives so I just started looking through all of their listings.  Then I saw it....Listed as an "engraved knife" with no mention of the name that was on it!  And it was a pretty good price too!  I guess the seller thought the owner had engraved their own name on the knife. I was super excited and  still to this day haven't seen another for sale!


I printed out an ad with the order form and placed it in a shadow box I found at a thrift (took a bit for the right sized one to come along) and we have it displayed with some vintage cookbooks.

Oh, and I found a vintage cake server at a yard sale for 50¢!

5 comments:

Jennilee said...

That's really cool, Mary! What a great find!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jennilee! I was soo excited to find it!

rr said...

I love your Gildy's Blade post! My paternal grandfather ordered 2 Gildy's Blades--one for his daughter (my aunt) and one for his daughter-in-law (my mother). I have my mother's. It's now 73 years old and it's still great for cutting cakes. My grandfather died in September 1950, probably the same year he ordered the knives, but his little gift is still cherished!

Jerryloschiavo@yahoo.com said...

I have been looking for a Gilda’s blade for years! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I was photo searching to find value of one of these gildy's blade like you have. I came across mine in a box of old utensils from my mom's house. I have tubs of stuff like this and more that I need to sell.