Friday, October 21, 2016

Haunted Hotel Accomo-death-tions



Drag your bones inside the Haunted Hotel.  The Hellhop will assist you with your effects.



We hope you find the quarters to your dismay.


Sleep Fright!

Last November the fam and I took a short excursion to Cave City, Kentucky. (see herehereherehere, and here)

One of the top things we were able to check out was the Haunted Hotel which was a part of Guntown Funtown Mountain. 

The Haunted Hotel was built in 1972 and was the oldest operational walk-through dark house in the country.  Inside the Haunted Hotel were several original attraction gags produced by Funni-Frite industries, a company that specialized in carnival dark rides and amusement park fun houses.

I love that Haunted Hotel.  I wish I could have had the opportunity to go inside, especially when it was in it's hey days.   

As sort of an homage, I created this Haunted Hotel Pillow.
I drew up the design and constructed it from flannel, felt, and puffy paint.

For more on the Sock Skellie see here.

The property was sold at auction several months back.  I don't have the nerve yet to check on it's status.  I fear it may have been destroyed.  Those are the kind of things that scare me.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

That is the cutest thing ever. Love your Halloween decorations and your blog.

Jennilee said...

Love your pillow, Mary! I think it is a wonderful tribute to the hotel...you got the details just right!

Jennilee said...

Me again, Mary :)

I just had to go look up what the new owners are doing and when I found out I had to come back here and tell you!

They reopened Guntown Mountain as Funtown Mountain! As far as I can tell, the Haunted Hotel has stayed intact!

my house is cuter than yours said...

If only that were still true. Funtown Mountain went into bankruptcy and was sold earlier this year to some people who are going to turn the land into a 5 star hotel and restaurant. I don't think The Haunted Hotel is going to "fit in". :(

Here is my write up about the fall of Funtown Mountain:
http://myhouseiscuterthanyours.blogspot.com/2016/01/guntown-funtown-donetown.html

~mary~