Wednesday, July 25, 2018

My Mayberry Look


I thought I would kinda show off my neat-o hair style and make-up that I did to meet Betty Lynn.  However my glasses have a glare so my make-up is hard to see.  The glasses I am wearing are the new ones I got for winning the Pumpkin Decorating Contest from a local branch eyeglasses store.  I have been a bit obsessed lately with learning vintage hair styling and this 'do' has been by far my favorite.  I accomplished it using a curling iron, bobby pins, and hair spray.  My red lipstick is Sephora cream lip stain 01.  My mom gave it to me years ago, so I am not sure if it's still available.  My necklace belonged to my grandmother.



The dress I am wearing is a fairly new purchase from a local vintage clothing store.  It is a handmade 1950s house dress and only cost 12 bucks!  I super love it.  It is really comfortable and I could see why one would wear it to clean the house back in the day.  It has a white and red odd pattern on a black background.  I am not sure what the shapes are suppose to be?  I have been calling it straw bundles.


This photo is a bit washed out and blurry but it kinda shows the curl action I have going on the left side of my face...kinda.
Creating this 'do' was about 45 minutes of work.  The day after sleeping on it I tried my best to salvage parts for our last day in Mayberry but it certainly was not as awesome looking as the first day.

  Trying to figure out pin curls, wet sets, and styling has been a little side hobby of mine the past month. You would think I would have learned all of this in my early 20s when I was into swing dancing but back then I always either put one of those Aunt Jemima bandannas on my head (hello profile photo to the right!) or do some french twist faux victory rolls.  "Real" hairstyles are much more time consuming and a bit frustrating, since I am still trying to figure this out.  I have been taking photos of my more successful dos, which will one day serve as my "before" photos as I hope to (fingers crossed) improve.
If you are interested in vintage hair styles browse my pinterest board: Hair Color, Cuts, and Chattels.  It's where I keep all of my inspiration and favorite tutes.

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

If you haven't already, check out LisaFreemontStreet on youtube. She has *awesome* hair tutorials!

You look fabulous!

I was watching old What's My Line videos on youtube yesterday and thought of you when I saw one with Andy Griffith! :)

my house is cuter than yours said...

We love What's my Line! I got Mr. Husband a neat Bennett Cerf children's book at an estate sale a few months back. I want to say Andy was on What's My Line three times. If you can find those clips it's very interesting to watch his transformation. In the first one he is all southern accent and chipper happy but by the last one he isn't even funny...very business sounding and certainly no dialect.

I have been watching sooo many youtube videos on hair stuff. I haven't come across lisafreemontstreet yet though so I will have to check it out! Thanks!