Monday, April 01, 2019

1960's Around the house Patterns


Simplicity 3712


After going through my 1962 Simplicity Fashion Pattern Catalog, I wondered what patterns I had in my stash that were from the 1960's.
It turned out most of my patterns don't have copyright dates, so I had to guess based on styling, and then check online to see if anyone else had a date.  A couple turned out to be really late 50's, and then a few I would have thought were 70's were late 60's.  Online the date of generic decade"1960s" was given, but I saw it as a second opinion to my own, so 60's they are!

I got the above pattern as part of a local auction I won consisting of 40 vintage patterns for 20 bucks.  There was one particular pattern from the 40's that has been on my wish list that was in my size within the set, so I mostly was bidding for it.  There were several other patterns that I liked and kept as well, but I have intentions of selling off most of them.  I held on to this pattern because I like the style and fabric patterns depicted on the envelope.  I doubt I would ever make this because I am a tightwad and when I see a pattern like this, I first think it will take a lot of fabric and fabric is ridiculously expensive.



Simplicity 6099

This was another pattern from the auction.  I also kept this one because of the fashionable ladies on the cover having their morning coffee klatch.
Where are they?  One woman has her hand against a wall.  Are they in her doorway or did they gather in a seedy back alley?  Pattern envelopes hold so many stories.


Simplicity 6809

A few other "around the house" patterns I have are aprons.
I love the styling of the floral print.



Butterick 3307

This one has to be late 60's with the photography involved on the envelope cover.  I used this pattern several years back to make an apron for my mom.  The bib was of regular cotton fabric but I made the skirt section from a terry cloth towel.  Unlike these ladies, sashaying around and holding onto their shoe heels, my mom actually uses an apron to ward off food splashes and needs function over fashion.  Hence all of her aprons are massively stained and they are that basic "Kiss the Cook" flat unisex style.  I figured I could combine function and fashion  by using a dark colored towel and a multi color fun print fabric for the bib (all stain hiding!). I think this apron could easily be converted to a bib dress, which would be super cute, like the polka dot and striped one on the bottom...and with pockets!  


Advance Sew-Easy 3056

No illustrations here.  This apron pattern looks a little plain on first viewing but I have used it many times.  The top left style is the pattern I used for making this She-Creature costume.


No comments: