Tuesday, August 27, 2019

And then there was Edna!




"Wrap it up Edna!"

As I have mentioned many a time, Mr. Husband has a Horror Host show called Nightmare Theatre, which is being produced by and showing on our local PBS channel.  When the show premiered in Oct 2018, the station had a special live performance and screening of their episode for Plan 9 (see here for more on that).  This special episode presentation was held back to be used later as a part of the local PBS fundraising campaign week, which also had an interview with the Nightmare Theatre crew and some extra footage of the "call center" brought to you by Nightmare Theatre.

Well, this "call center" had to appear to be staffed so myself and several other family members to the production team got to play the parts (no speaking thankfully).  They wanted us to look and act a bit outlandish which I was excited about doing!  There was an anime girl, a voodoo doctor/zombie, a werewolf, a gremlin (a prop from the actual movie), and me as my character I call Edna.

I named her after one of our favorite characters from Rosanne, Edna Debelco
(episode: Inherit the Wind, S02E01).  You never get to see Edna actually on the show, but she is hinted as being quite a talker and a bit annoying.  I also added a splash of Thelma "Mama" Harper from Mama's Family and Peggy Bundy from "Married with Children" to Edna's persona.

For Edna's look, I got to wear one of my favorite outfits (as seen here, bottom photo) that is a bit much to wear on a daily basis, my polyester pink gingham pants outfit!  I paired it with a wig I got from a thrift store, which was in bad scraggly shape, so I covered it with a scarf.  The cat eye glasses were some I bought on ebay a long time ago but never got lenses for them.

I see Edna making more appearances on the show, I mean look at her, she's got it going on!
But she will need some more duds....
Mr. Husband Sir and I happened to go to an estate sale that for the most part was very dull...except for these amazing 70s polyester woman's pants suits I found there! Perfect for more Edna outfits!!!!!












I love these outfits so much!  I am a bit bummed though because when we got to the sale, only late by 15 minutes, some heifer had already grabbed up all the rest.  She piled all the bags of clothes up around herself, hoarding them, not letting anyone else touch anything. She also had a stack about 2 feet tall of glorious double knit ensembles, off in another room that she had set claims on.  She was obviously buying it for resale because it was not her size.  She kept belting out to her friend/assistant to grab this and that to bring to her which she would then keep saying "That's vintage...That's vintage...That's vintage.." with a reckneck toothless dialect.   I was only lucky enough to find these outfits because they were off in the back of a closet.

I like to put these outfits on and pretend I am going to be a contestant on The Price Is Right 70s style.
There was one episode from September 5, 1972 that had a hilarious contestant named Boo Boo Cooper.  Boo Boo has that perfect old lady Patty Selma smoker voice!  I also incorporated Boo Boo's personality into my Edna character. Edna's essence is sass, cigarettes, and a dollop of whiskey in her morning coffee.



For my prop I chewed up 3 huge pieces of bubble gum so I could be blowing monster sized bubbles while on the phone.  I can see other times using a fly swatter or filing/painting my fingers or sipping on something from a brown paper bag....!

Unfortunately the video for this segment has not been uploaded so I can't share Edna with the world!
But for now in the words of Edna:

"You inbred kids keep off my front lawn and stop defiling my garden gnomes!"



2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Those clothes are amazing!! I love the blue ensemble :)

For some reason I get a Mrs Wiggins (from Carol Burnett) vibe from Edna!

my house is cuter than yours said...

The blue suit is very cool. The top consists of two stretchy knit pieces: a sleeveless undershirt and the sweater jacket. I think I can wear it for reals because it's not that out there. The pants are the only piece made of double knit poly and since they are plain looking I doubt I'll get too many stares!

~mary~