Monday, June 05, 2017

20,000 Leagues under Birthday Cake

Mr. Husband Sir just turned another year older.  His surprise birthday theme this year was based after one of his favorite movies, 20000 Leagues Under The Sea.  He also loved the now gone Disney World ride based after the 1954 Disney Pictures release.  The ride opened in 1971 and "sunk" in 1994.  Mr. Husband Sir went on many under water adventures on the Nautilus when he was a kid living just outside of Orlando.  We just recently took a trip to Disney World and he was telling us much he wished the ride was still there, then I decided it had to be his birthday theme!

I thought the decorations turned out pretty well considering all I spent was 1.07 at Dollar Tree to purchase a bag of seashells.  Everything else I had or made between either PB or myself.
The 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea record (1964) seen above is from my grandmother's collection and was passed on to me when I was younger.

I drew and painted the giant squid and the Nautilus on large pieces of cardboard I scavenged from a furniture shop for free.  The seaweed is snipped crepe paper streamers.  PB and I drew and painted the sea life on the ocean wall.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea has a very steam punk kinda feel to the film sets.  I don't really have anything like that other than an old barometer and a few sets of these ornate candle holders seen above.  The candle holders are actually vintage funeral home decor!  Mr. Husband Sir used to work at a funeral home years ago when we first met and they were given to him.  They come in quite handy during Halloween or for a 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea party!

Another area of underwater ambiance.  I printed out a bunch of vintage sea life book illustrations and placed them in metal frames here and there.  I also printed images of the movie posters and old diving masks to hang or prop up.

For his cake I made it resemble the 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea ride...with him getting to experience it again!  I used a horseshoe cake pan that I originally used for PB's first birthday and a wedding cake back in 2005. 

 I printed out and laminated an image of a Nautilus ship and a giant squid to chase him.  I used a bunch of PB's plastic sea life critters on the cake and on tables.  

One of the gifts Mr. Husband Sir got was an advertisement from 1954 when the movie was first released.  I found it in a old Collier's magazine I picked up at an estate sale.

While we were at Disney World last month we had heard tale that at the Little Mermaid ride (which was where the original 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea had been) was a hidden tribute.  Mr. Husband Sir found it!  Carved in the rocks is a large sized Nautilus "floating" just above the water pool.




Past Mr. Husband B-day Bashes:

3 comments:

Jennilee said...

What a great theme! You really did a great job carrying throughout. I bet Mr Husband Sir loved it!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jenn! A lot of the themes I do for him and my son are subjects I sometimes know very little about. I really have to do learning and researching to pull it off ... not to mention the theme is usually a surprise. Mr. Husband Sir thought it was great! He is now been talking about getting a 20,000 Leagues under the sea tattoo!

~mary~

Jennilee said...

That would be cool! I can totally see a giant squid!