Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Simplicity 1962 Spring Fashion Pattern Magazine



(Simplicity 4308 on cover)

I recently picked up this super neat magazine catalog (200 pages, 132 patterns!) for Simplicity Patterns Spring line 1962 at a library book sale for only 50 cents!  While my fashion interests are more 1940's-50's, this catalog still held a lot of gems...but also some real horse apples. 

For the next several posts, I am going to be highlighting some of the articles and pieces from the fashion line for your viewing pleasure.  I also scoured the nets to locate images of the original pattern envelopes to see all the options, compare, and pass judgement!

With spring just around the corner it's a perfect time to start planning your new wardrobe.  Maybe some of these fashions will inspire, while some will dissuade.

To start off, the first 24 pages hold all of the ads. 
 You would think with that many options there would be some great stuff but no. Everything is just photography printed in black and white, no art or concept involved in the layouts either.  But here are a few of (minimal) interest:


I liked this one because of the Belt and Buckle Bar display rack, along with it having some decent illustration work.


This ad has a great 1940's-50's feel to it.


This is the goofy 60's rearing it's ugly head.  She is a Peggy Bundy predecessor! 
In a costumey way I do kinda like this outfit.  It's something I would wear and parade around the house in.  I have a  similar 1970's 2 piece double knit polyester pink and white gingham pants outfit.  I mostly wear it to torment PB!  Sometimes I'll put it on right before we have to go to an open house or some other equally embarrassing public place and ask PB if he is ready to go.  He hates it!  I don't really wear it out but it's fun to get him worked up over it.


Here I am in my "beloved" outfit along with a 1970's apron from my apron show in 2015.

All pattern envelope source images came from various sites including: vintagepatterns.wikiaebay, and etsy.

No comments: