Monday, June 03, 2019

The Myrtles Plantation



Part of the attraction of this trip was I wanted to see or visit some of the sites I remember oogling at when I was a little kid while riding in the car on trips to visit family.
This sign always had my interest, even passing it at 65 miles a hour, while sitting in a backseat barely tall enough to see out the window.
 The Myrtles Plantation, circa 1796.
The home of mystery and intrigue, one of America's most haunted houses.  



Oh how I remember the ghost stories I was told when we would drive by.  One of the elder family members sitting in the front seat would slowly turn around and face us kids in the back, having a sinister look in their eye.  They would then go into the story of the slave chambermaid, Chloe, who as a punishment for eaves dropping had her ear cut off, and if you stay the night at the Myrtles Plantation you may awaken to find her ghost at the foot of your bed!!!!
I loved that kind of ghost story stuff when I was a kid, and still do today.  



When we got into town it was too late to take a tour but we did get to walk around the grounds. On the weekends there is a night tour with a more ghostly feel to it, but we were in town on a weekday, so we will have to aim for that one next time.
They have lodging but for the really good and haunted rooms, it's pricey, so we didn't get to meet up with Chloe this time!

The Myrtles Plantation
7747 US Highway 61
St. Francisville, La 70775
225-635-0565

No comments: