Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Ancient Aliens Birthday Party



For PB's birthday this year, and speaking as a semi-surly teenager, he said he didn't want a birthday party.
Oh well.  You're getting one anyway, but a "small" one.
The truth of the matter is I really have covered just about all of his favorite topics, activities, and interests in past shindigs; at least the ones I can grasp (not even going to go there with anime).
So I decided to try something a little more obscure this year, yet something he enjoys.
Ancient Aliens!
You know, that TV show that is on the History Channel of all places.
It would be a better fit on the Comedy channel, which is why we watch it.
The explanation for Giorgio hair? Aliens!

For the basis of the theme, it's a melding of ancient ruins and artifacts with technology and lots of outlandish alien theories.
I carved the Aztec temple seen in the top photo from sheets of discarded styrofoam.  Other ancient bits are the Easter Island Moai I painted for the background, plants, rocks, and some prints of carved Eye Idols (clearly they are aliens!) on sticks. For the tech/alien bits, there are mylar UFO ships I made from an old weather balloon, kidding, it's from some drastically noisy table covering I had leftover from PB's "In Search Of..." party several years back. Also included everywhere as the primary technology representative are a bunch of computer parts (Motherboards, hard drives, alien brains?) that we fished out of a trash pile.


On the main wall I made a huge cardboard Egyptian pyramid with green lights behind it and a bunch of cute illustrations of cartoony aliens doing fun stuff hanging out there.  Next to the pyramid are several UFOs flying around. They are cardboard which I painted with silver paint; the beams are wax paper.


Decorating the sideboard, I printed out and framed several examples of aliens and UFOs represented in ancient artworks.  Clearly those are space vessels and not just an artist's interpretation of heavenly beings.


On another table, we had our own 'crystal skull' (it's a old hot sauce bottle), some ancient rocks from our yard, more computer brains, a print of Stonehenge, mylar UFOs, Eye Idols, and little aliens chilling out.



On top of the china cabinet, are the usual suspects of the Ancient Aliens show.




We had each of them wishing PB Happy Birthday in their own special way.  Click on images for enlargements to read.  These photos turned out poopy because I took them at night.  Make sure to read the sentiments in the voices of each person for best effect!

I also made some ancient Quimbaya flying fish...I mean ancient Quimbaya space ship pins (just like Giorgio's)  for us to wear in lieu of party apparel.  I printed out the image, glued it to a scrap of old manila folder, and then hot glued a pin backing on.



As with all ancient structure remains, this Aztec temple held a secret too!
Under the ramp was a hidden compartment that held PB's birthday treasure (cash)!
It's quite possible that our Ancient Alien ancestors hid loot in stryofoam chucks as well...well before we had the idea to hide it our mattresses!

I guess this party wasn't small as had been requested.  I told PB next year I am going to go to Party City, close my eyes and point to a theme and that's what he will get.  It may be "Dora the Explorer" or "Over the Hill" but all of the necessary items have already been gathered and are ready to roll.  Nah, while that sounds funny and easy I would never do it.  That party shit is expensive.  This Ancient Aliens party cost me absolutely nothing.  All of it was scavenged from dumpsters, our house, and painted or fixed up by myself. Free, free, and free.
What could be fun is collecting random party stuff over the year from thrift stores and have a mish-mash theme. Hmmm... something to think about.

  Up next is Birthday sweets!

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

I thought I had commented on this post! Happy (belated!) birthday to PB!! I'm not entirely sure, but I believe he is the same age as my youngest daughter.

What a fun theme! I hope he appreciated it :) You would be an awesome party planner!

my house is cuter than yours said...

He is a 2004 model. I thought about being a party planner but I like to make so much stuff from junk/trash I don't think anyone would want to pay me for that. Most of the themed parties I see online or in magazines are of the hoity toity variety and I don't know nothing about that kinda stuff!