Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Mammy's Cupboard



Another sight I always looked forward to seeing on long drives to visit family when I was a little kid was driving past this amazon antebellum woman which happens to have a restaurant under her hoop skirt.
We never stopped to eat here back then because we had our trusty bag o' baloney sandwiches and a jug of kool-aid we lugged from home.



Mammy's Cupboard, located in Natchez, Mississippi, was
built in 1940 to capitalize on the nationwide popularity of the Academy Award winning motion picture,
Gone With the Wind.



I read somewhere that she originally had horse shoes for earrings and her eyes glowed red at night to attract customers, which I find odd.  For several decades there were a couple of gas pumps in front, the posts that the banner is hanging from are remnants of that section.



Mr. Husband Sir and I posing with Mammy. 
We ate here for lunch and also had a slice of hummingbird cake which was all tasty (though a bit pricey).  



As you can see from my photos Mammy needs a spa day or something.  She has been working so hard her right arm is missing, her skirt needs tending to, her baking sheet is gone, and she also has a little something on her chin (bird poop?).  Here is a photo of her in better shape that I came across which was taken 20 years ago or so.  I guess nearly 80 years of cooking and baking can really take a toll on a gal.

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Oh! That looks like an interesting stop! I love how Mr Husband Sir's shirt matches Mammy's skirt!

my house is cuter than yours said...

His shirt also matches my dress (mine's a bigger print), which I planned! I like when we have matching outfits. It makes us look even better together!