Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Saturday Sale-ing



Mr. Husband Sir and I have been experiencing some great luck and fun at what I call "home grown" estate sales, meaning ones run by the family.
One particular Saturday was incredible, here's what we found!
The ceramic McCoy planter and ceramic Asian bookends were from a sale that the lady used to be involved in vending at antique markets.  She keeps the lower end stuff in an old barbershop building and when it fills up she has a sale usually twice a year.  The planter was $1 (because "it has a crack" as the lady pointed out, but I liked it anyway so it was a score to me!), bookends were $3 and the shell lamp in a below photo was $5.


Ohhhhh! Plastic vintage flowers!  I love these things! We got 4 containers of them but I have already incorporated one set into some decor and they are super brittle so I didn't what to move them around for a photo shoot.  That's the one draw back on these things is how breakable they become.



There is the shell lamp that Mr. Husband was in love with.  It lights up inside the conch!
The Gulf States travel guide on the right was from the estate sale with the plastic flowers.  It has really great ads and photos of hotels and restaurants from 1966.  The two Hula booklets are from the last sale we went to, more on that later.



We also picked up these vintage Florida travel brochures at the plastic flower estate sale.


The gingham fabric was also from the plastic flower estate sale.  We spent 5 bucks total for everything there.  The last sale on our list for the day was the best.  The listing only showed a picture of a boring clock that was from the 1990s so I am not sure why I even had it on our list, as a matter of fact we almost had called it a day but figured why not one last stop.  The sale had also been already going on for 2 days and we were coming in during the last couple of hours.  I figured it was going to be sparse but sister it was not!  When we walked in I couldn't help but say "Oh my." out loud.  I am pretty sure it was a hoarder house and it had that smell to it also, but I knew with some digging there were treasures hidden!  Some items: The hula books mentioned previously, the vintage Hawaiian fabric above.



I also got a vintage Hawaiian long dress.  I don't know much about tropical wear, it could be a muu-muu but it's more form fitting. 



And Mr. Husband Sir made out the best.  We found him four gorgeous shirts, only 50 cents a piece! There were actually a ton of these shirts but we only picked out a few.  The family running the sale happened to work with Mr. Husband.  On a chance he sent him an email after the sale and offered to buy any more of the shirts if they were still available.  They were and he sold us the last 16 shirts for 8 bucks.  Some are the same colors, all pale and have stains, so we are thinking we may dye them in the future when Mr. Husband needs a shirt to match with one of my outfits or he and PB need matching shirts for who knows.

We also found a few other odds and ends like a bamboo tray, some christmas stuff (will post that in Dec.) and I got a pair of brand new old lady white sandals.

We spent maybe 20 bucks for the entire day and had a lot of fun, great finds, and meeting some nice people.

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Awesome finds, Mary! I went to an estate sale today and didn't make out as nearly as well as you did, but I did get a few treasures :) I'll do a blog post about them soon!

my house is cuter than yours said...

I love seeing what other people find! I look forward to it!
~mary~