Friday, February 04, 2022

Frankaroni Loaf



It's a sight to behold!
Just let your eyes rest and take it in for awhile!

{From Tested Recipe Institute 1958}

During the months of quarantine back in 2020 I tried out several vintage casserole concoctions.   It's the only hobby I had left, other than sleeping till noon.   For the most part these dishes have all been fairly tame, even some being a bit on the dull side.  This is because we do have to eat these for dinner and I didn't want to disturb the Fam with anything too out there.  However I was getting to the bottom of the barrel of options that look fairly normal and include ingredients that we would actually eat.  Frankaroni Loaf was the turning point.  It's the first sign that things are not okay anymore.


(This dish does not include a cheese custard pie.  It's just an extra non-photographed recipe included on the card)

The ingredients are normal in and of themselves, but not usually placed all together baked in a molded loaf.  They also don't typically have a tomato sauce- olive speckled bandolier across them.



For this recipe (as with all recipes) I did some substitutions to make the dish more healthy or use foods I keep on hand.  I used turkey hot dogs, chopped up dill pickle slices as the relish, fat free shredded cheese, skim milk, and whole wheat penne pasta.  
Although the dish looks a bit out there it's not so bad tasting.  I think the only thing it's missing is a bit more of a sauce, not the tomato sauce...maybe a white sauce!  Everything tastes better when drowned in white sauce!

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Oh my, Mary! You are a braver soul than I!

my house is cuter than yours said...

It is definitely one of the weirdest dishes I have made...but also the prettiest!