Wednesday, February 02, 2022

S'Macaroni Bake


You guys. 
 I have been mesmerized by this vintage ad for years.  I can not track down where it came from or more importantly what the recipe is.  The image quality is so poor.  I have done my best to decipher what I thought it said because I needed to make this beautiful S'Macaroni Bake!!! 

So I saved and enlarged the recipe and put on 2 pairs of eyeglasses that are for someone with 20/1000 vision, barely making out the secrets of this dazzler.

Behold the original recipe (for the most part):

S'Macaroni

In a large bowl combine and chill:
*One 8 oz package Ann Page elbow macaroni cooked and drained
*One 1 lb can salmon, drained and flaked
*1/4 cup each: chopped celery, onion, bell pepper, pimento
*1 tsp each: oregano and pepper
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 tbsp lemon juice
* 1 cup medium white sauce (At some time make 2 additional cups for use in preparing Creamy Lemon Sauce)

Prepare 3 cups baking powder biscuit recipe (or packaged biscuit mix)
~Can't make out the next few lines: something about liquid and lightly floured and rectangle.
Fit dough into dish and fill with chilled macaroni mixture. 
~Something about dough edges and fluted. 
Sprinkle surface with caraway seeds?, stripes of pimento, and dot with sliced stuffed olives.
Bake 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees.
Serves 6 or 8? with Creamy Lemon Sauce ( 2 cups medium white sauce plus ?? lemon juice blended well)

 

There it is.  And there it's going to stay for the most part!  The "S" in S'Macaroni is for Salmon!
Nope. No way. Not happening. 
To keep the in "S" in S'Macaroni,  I decided to use sausage and I highly recommend it!  So, so good!


Here is my quick and easy "recipe":
I cooked up some turkey sausage and mixed it with cooked noodles and white sauce.  The biscuit dough is from a mix.  I couldn't find long stripes of pimento so I used red bell pepper.  Modern stuffed olives aren't radioactive green anymore unfortunately so I had no option but to use drab unphotogenic replacements.

It's pretty much biscuits and sausage gravy...and noodles.
And who doesn't like that?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this casserole without the crust. Just the macaroni, salmon, lemon white sauce, celery and onion. I decorated the top with sun dried tomato strips. It was good! I used three of the little cans of salmon that is sold by the tuna, it did not have any skin and bones in it.

~sharon

my house is cuter than yours said...

Sharon, I drop my humble apron to you! You are a brave and talented woman to take on the S'Macaroni Bake in it's true form!

~mary~