Monday, February 14, 2022

Sweetheart Rings


I love mid-century vending machine stuff.  I came across this "Sweetheart Ring" vending display card and absolutely fell in love with the illustration.  It's practically perfect in every way!  


I planned on framing it and hanging it up at Valentine's time.  But when it came in the mail I was in for a surprise.  I apparently didn't read the size of the card because this thing is micro sized...2 inch x 3 inch.  Not suitable for framing...it's like a gum wrapper!

I still wanted to come up with a way to display it so I made this mini fake vending machine:

I bought a couple of packages of cheap-o plastic rings from 1.25 Tree that have 2 colors, red and fuchsia.  I don't do fuchsia unless it's vintage 80s fashion so I popped all of those 'jewels' off.  I had even painted some of them black with nail polish but decided to just keep it simple and tossed the stripped rings in as background filler and placed the red rings up front.


I made the vending machine out of an old Christmas card box, aluminum foil, and red craft paper.
This one is more of a mock up.  I want to find a tall small square glass canister at a thrift and make something a bit more substantial.

Here is another vintage packaged "Sweetheart rings" that Mr. Husband got me.  Looks like the Mr. on the package is under witness protection.


1 comment:

Jennilee said...

That is an adorable craft, Mary! You did a fantastic job!