Monday, November 30, 2020

Festive Fruit and Nut Cake with Cranberry Cream Icing


If you still have room, this is the last of the desserts for the final course in MHicTy's Thanksgiving buffet of posts!
I came across the ad above for "Festive Fruit and Nut Cake with Luscious Cranberry Cream Icing" but it had no recipe!  I guess it was included on the can of 1940s Spry.  For the heck of it I checked online and I found the exact recipe!  I am including it here for sake of posterity.



2 c. cake flour, sifted (if all-purpose flour is used reduce flour 2 tbsp.)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 tsp. each cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice
1/2 c. Spry
1 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs, unbeaten
1/3 c. diced citron
1/2 c. each seeded raisins, currants, dates, cut in sm. pieces
3/4 c. filberts or walnuts, chopped & toasted
May add candied pineapple and cherries


Sift flour, sugar, soda, salt, cocoa and spices into mixing bowl. Drop in Spry. Add applesauce and beat 200 strokes (2 minutes by hand or on mixer at low speed). Scrape bowl and spoon or beater. Add eggs and beat 200 strokes (2 minutes by hand or on mixer at low speed). Add fruits and nuts and mix thoroughly. Bake in Spry-coated 8 1/2 inch tube pan at 350 degrees for one hour and 25 to 35 minutes.


Even with all the yummy stuff in this recipe I didn't care for it but Mr. Husband thought it was great.  I think if you like fruit cake it's worth trying since this one has a twist being a chocolate fruit cake with an interesting icing. 

I just realized that I didn't include the recipe for the icing and I can't seem to find it nor can I remember how I made this batch!  I know this sounds weird but I think I blended jellied cranberry sauce with prefab cream cheese icing....but fancier folk could make a home made cream cheese icing and then add homemade cranberry sauce that has been well seived. 

I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving.  Keep loved ones close if only in your heart this season.

No comments: