Wednesday, November 04, 2020

National Easy Bake Oven Day


Today is National Easy Bake Oven Day, commemorating 57 years of light bulb baking!  
Why not celebrate by making this wee oven paper craft offered up by the O-fficial site?


They have four different ovens to choose from including the 1978 design which looks very similar to the 1983 one I had as a kid.  Check out the site's Visual Timeline for interesting tidbits and photos of all the different ovens from 1963 til modern day.


Back in 2014 I had an Easy Bake Oven Birthday theme.  My Easy Bake Oven is the first design which was manufactured from 1963-1968.  


I got to be honest, after my design was retired,  the rest of the ovens look like hot turds.  You could bake that in those ugly ass ovens!

Here's something alerting that I realized about 8 months ago and I pass this information on to my fellow vintage EBO bakers.  Start collecting true 100 watt incandescent bulbs NOW.  Make sure they aren't those long dimmable ones, they don't fit.  The oven bakes by way of 200 watts of searing heat from the bulb, those LED are not going to cut it.  The new EBOs bake by means of a heating element today, no more bulbs.  Back in February one of my 100 watt bulbs blew and when I went to the store to pick up a replacement I was surprised to not find any incandescents.  I know people are switching to LED but I thought the old faithfuls would still be around.  I checked several other stores but there just weren't any.  Maybe you can buy them online but I ain't paying 40 bucks for an overpriced  bulb after shipping, handling, and other miscellaneous ass fees.  The places to find these bulbs are going to be estate sales and thrift stores.   This is just one of many "problems" that has been plaguing my mind over the last 7 1/2 months.  I got to be able to bake in that oven!  What if my stove goes out again?!  Back in the summer I went on a masked up mission to my local ReStore and there they had a milk crate full of random bulbs.  I sifted through them and found a few 100 watts, and then tried them out in a lamp that was for sale.  I left with several to get me hopefully through this crisis, 
costing only 25 ¢ each yo!
💡    💡    💡    💡    💡    💡   💡

3 comments:

Tdub said...

I got my highly coveted, much begged-for turquoise Easy Bake Oven for Christmas in 1965. I loved that thing! About 20 years ago I bought a vintage replacement from ebay very cheap, popped a 25 watt bulb into it and used it as a kitchen decoration/nightlight for years. I also bought the mini ornament version...which I cannot wait to display on my new Kitchen/Food themed Christmas Tree! I've been buying little food/appliance/cocktail ornaments all year long and finally settled on a 3' silver tinsel tree that will fit perfectly on my breakfast table. Setting it up tomorrow, can't wait! Do you cook mini treats in your EBO? I find affordable incandescent bulbs on ebay.

Tdub said...

p.s. My mini turquoise Easy Bake Ornament looks ADORABLE on my new kitchen tree! I also found a turquoise blue vintage fridge ornament. love love love it!

my house is cuter than yours said...

TDub~
I keep also mine displayed with a LED 25 watt bulb in it and use it kinda like a "lamp" on top of a hutch. I haven't baked anything in it for a couple of years but I have plans! It's fun to use with those tubs of cookie dough that kid's sell for school fund raisers. I'll have to look for that ornament you have. Is it a Hallmark thing? Hallmark had some super cute fisher Price mini ornaments (school house, clock, TV, etc.) that I missed out on a few years back. Now they are high dollar on ebay.
Your kitchen tree sounds super cute!

~mary~