Wednesday, August 29, 2018

I'm A SHMO


Every boy wants a Remco toy..and so do girls!

It gets farther and fewer between that I come across much awesome joy sparking vintage items at the thrifts anymore.  But last week I happened to come across this 1959 SHMO Tumblebum Remco game for five bucks.
The box is huge, measuring 24 inches by 14 inches and 3 inches deep.  The game board is 2 feet by about 4 feet.


It has all the pieces except for a couple of little boys.


Awww..little PBs!


To 'throw' the dice the player spins a plastic hour glass with a couple of dice in it that only have 1, 2, 3 on their sides.


Being a 'SHMO' ain't good.  Every time you land on a SHMO space he has done something involving tomfoolery...


He forgot his trousers.


He brushes his teeth with shaving cream.  He puts salt in his dad's coffee.
He also walks through wet cement and takes the wrong school bus, among other doofus things.


Each time the player lands on a SHMO space they must take a SHMO card and perform whatever it says, such as cackling like a chicken or walking like a gorilla.
Because of the size of the game board and that it involves some physical activity and math I could see this being a fun and doable game for an elementary class.  Only the card that says "Pat your head and rub your tummy and say "I'm a fat SHMO!" should be discarded before playing!

4 comments:

Jennilee said...

That's a pretty awesome fine, Mary! Looks like it could be a fun game to play!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Oh Yes! Only the boys in my house are too old and sophisticated for this game. I need to make me some younger friends! You know, some 5 year olds or something. I am adding it to my "When I am a Nana" pile for the future.

Jennilee said...

You can never be too old and sophisticated to cackle like a chicken! hahahaha

my house is cuter than yours said...

Nancy, I am perfectly fine with you using my photos with a link back!

~mary~