Wednesday, August 01, 2018

The Merry Go Round At The Earle



While we were in Mount Airy , NC to see Betty Lynn, we also got to make it to a live radio show from blue grassstation WPAQ called The Merry Go Round which is performed at The Earle.


The Merry Go Round is the second longest running radio show in America (first being the Grand Ole Opry).  It plays every Saturday morning for 2.5 hours featuring live bluegrass music from 2-3 bands.


The first performers we saw were the Apple Pie String Band, which were very good.


The second band was called High Country Grass.  I can't locate a website but found this video from the performance we attended.  Mr. Husband and I loved them!  The two guys who do most of the singing have great gritty real voices.  The fiddle player is a teenager and he is absolutely amazing.


While we were at the Earle I noticed this neat light feature in some of the original 1938 seats in the balcony.


The last time we visited The Earle I regretted not checking out the bathroom for neat old features.  I figured there had to be something in there since the bathroom doors looked so cool.  So I made a special trip to use the facilities and discovered these fun mid-century tiled floors.



While we were in town we drove out to see the actual WPAQ radio station which is really small.  I wanted to go inside but didn't want to interrupt or disrupt anything.

Every time we have been to Mount Airy we missed seeing The Merry Go Round.  It was amazing, so so amazing. If we lived in town I would be there every Saturday.
The closest thing to it is the ability to
Listen Live! online.
The Merry Go Round runs live at 11 am Mount Airy, NC Time every Saturday morning.

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

That is so cool, Mary! I'm glad you got the chance to go! I love bluegrass...will have to check it out :)

I use to love Prairie Home Companion, but haven't listened in quite sometime.

my house is cuter than yours said...

I keep forgetting to tune in online Saturday mornings for the live show at the Earle.