Thursday, October 31, 2019

Happy Halloween Spooky Spooks!


Happy Halloween creepy crawlies, ghoulies, and goblins! 


It's just me!


In my most adorable DIYed Halloween costume/outfit.



Here is my Halloween costume I made this year, based after a vintage 1978 kid's vinyl set I picked up last year at a thrift store (seen below).



I thought it was so adorable but it was a kid's size small and certainly wouldn't fit an adult.  Besides, these costumes are sweaty suffocating heat death traps.  I decided to set out to make my own adult version, preserving the cute style but keeping comfort in mind.



I have been working on this idea for almost a year!  I already had an A line dress pattern in my stash that I had picked up from a thrift store years ago.  I then needed yellow fabric.  Fabric stores are too pricey, so I kept my eye peeled for a yellow sheet.  I eventually found one at a thrift for only 2 bucks!
Next I had a life sized large format print made of my witch image at the library.



To transfer the image onto the fabric I used carbon sheets.  I got these at an estate sale.  I had to cut the print into sections and do it piece by piece.  I then painted  everything with fabric paint (already had in my stash).
The entire dress cost about 10 bucks to make.  The most costly part was the bias tape I put on the edges.  I decided after seeing these photos that the bottom of the dress needed to be trimmed out too, so I have added more to the edge.  To represent the original plastic mask, I made a little hair fascinator from a printout of the witch's mask.  It is just hot glued to a piece of craft sheet foam, then a hair clip hot glued under that.


I remember very well how hot and suffocating it was to wear these masks when I was a kid.  I now know why!  There are no nose holes and what breath you can intake is through the tiny pin hole opening on the mouth!  But the great thing about wearing a mask is you don't have to worry about making a perfect smile or wonder if your make up or hair style is still holding together, you just look toward the camera!

Trick or Treat!


As always, Halloween day will commence for a bit longer on here as I post all of our doings from Hallows Eve!


2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Oh my gosh, Mary!!! What a spectacular costume!!!! You have outdone yourself with this one. Happy Halloween!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks ever so much! It was a lot of work!

~mary~