Monday, August 17, 2020

Turkey Chicken Bake


Is it 'wrong' to put two different poultry together, such as turkey and chicken?  I feel like maybe in the gourmet yuppie world it's bad, like cheese and seafood together apparently is.  I haven't watched Food Network in nearly a decade so I am not in touch with what the foodie snobs think anymore.  We all know that's not the crowd I run with anyway.  I certainly won't judge someone for liking a grill cheese tuna sandwich.  I'd be the one offering "Have you thought of adding chopped up hot dogs to that?"

The original recipe for this dish is called Ham-Chicken Bake.  My being the 'using what I have on hand' kinda gal that I am, I substituted some scrap bits of baked turkey and drippings I had squirreled away in the freezer in place of the ham.  I also used the recipe as a springboard to which I made a few changes/additions, again one of my normal M.O.s.

{From Better Homes and Gardens Casserole Cook Book 1961}

The basic idea of this dish is a white sauce with meat and a row of baked biscuit logs down the center.  I felt there needed to be a bit more substance to it so I started by baking a biscuit crust (Jiffy mix) on the bottom of the casserole dish.  I then somewhat followed the recipe.   I used the turkey drippings in place of the broth/butter and reduced the amount of milk.  My white sauce was more like a gravy, I guess.  Suffice it to say, this dish was absolutely delicious because it's pretty much just biscuits and gravy.  If you choose to add cheese, tuna, or chopped up hot dogs to it, that's your call.


{click on image for recipe enlargement}

No comments: