Monday, August 31, 2020

Velvet Crumb Cake



Velvet crumb cake, sometimes called Lazy Day cake, caught my attention with coconut, use of convenience foods (biscuit mix), and LAZY!


Velvet crumb cake has been around in some form for quite a while.  I have come across it in a number of my own vintage cook books.
The above ad is from 1952 and you can still find the recipe for this cake on the Betty Crocker web site.  There are loads of variations out there as well.



I decided to go with the classic recipe, with the broiled icing.
I know Betty really wants us to use Bisquick but I am a faithful Jiffy mix gal.  That is the only ingredient I switched up though.

Here is a scan of the recipe from a 1970s Bisquick cookbook of mine:

{click to enlarge recipe}

I used the recipe above and thought it was odd to beat it for 4 minutes, so I did the standard 2 minutes.  However, looking at the 1952 ad, it states only having to beat for 90 seconds....interesting.

I had high hopes of this being a superb cake but I found it kinda dull and dense (could be the beating?).  I'll have to look into trying out some of the suggested variations or better yet, making up my own.  I think this cake would work well as a shortcake.  I'd go with layers of  blackberries, cool whip, and coconut!

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

As you said, Mary, I could see this as a shortcake. I just can't imagine it as a cake though, crumb or otherwise! And I'm with you. I much prefer Jiffy! Hard to find in my area though. Didn't use to be, but it is now.

my house is cuter than yours said...

Jiffy has a ton of products but I can only find a few in my area anymore either. It is a shame because they are great products, economical, and have fantastic box art to them.