Friday, August 14, 2020

Fancy Ham Sandwich, Spring Style


This is the kind of recipe I live for!  Something with a wild presentation and bonus if it contains at least one weird ingredient or flavor combination.  This time it's looked down upon canned deviled ham (which I happen to love!)!


{Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book 1961}

"A good meal is no farther away than your can opener!  Keep a can of deviled ham on hand for this luncheon special.  For a gay look, arrange the platter of asparagus as shown; tuck in "sails" of deviled-ham-and-cheese toast.  Spoon Jiffy Mustard Sauce down center of the platter."




This has been one of my most favorite recipes I have made this year.  It looks amazing and it is very flavorful and delicious.  I thought twice about making the "Jiffy Mustard Sauce" because I always feel hot mayo isn't a good idea but I couldn't come up with a good substitute so I decided to take the chance.  It was worth the food/salmonella poisoning!  It was the perfect accompaniment for this dish.

The only things I did a little different was I steamed fresh asparagus rather than frozen.  I also used a spicy brown mustard in the Jiffy Mustard sauce rather than plain yellow.

If it wasn't for all the calories, carbs, fat, and sodium in this dish I would eat it once a week.  I guess those are all the contributing factors that make it so yummy!  

No comments: