Friday, August 21, 2020

Jam Crumb Cake




   What do you do when you are down to a bag of slimy spinach and just a couple of questionable hot dogs in your fridge?  You are certainly overdue with the grocery shopping and tonight dinner is going to be weird. You wouldn't dare think about dessert, would you?  Well, have I got a treat for you!
Start off by rummaging around in the 'packets' drawer in your kitchen and grab up all of those jellies!

I came across a fun recipe from Household Magazine April 1954 that was focused on using up little bits of this and that.  One recipe featured the sludge bits of jelly left in a jar:


All of the other ingredients are basics you will most likely already have on hand.


My crumb cake took about 7 jelly packs along with a honey one thrown in there too.  I oopsie-over-browned it a bit.


 I happened to have some whipped topping in my fridge which I dashed a bit of cinnamon over the top for some pizzazz!
The cake was very good and easy to put together.  I love recipes that 'make do' such as this one.  The other recipe in this magazine feature was for using up the last cup of gum drops in your candy dish by putting them into cookies.  Hmm.  The only persons to have this problem would be senior citizens who haven't been able to push those "candies" off on the grand kids.  Stuff those things in cookies and just maybe they will get eaten!

1 comment:

Jennilee said...

That sounds interesting! I have grape jelly fans at my house and I'm not sure that grape would do it. Oh! I do have some Cheerwine jelly I made. I bet that would be good!

And I love gumdrops! lol!