Monday, August 24, 2020

Ham Shortcakes with Birds Eye Pea Sauce


"My very own husband has me blushing!"


I have been in love with the appearance of this dish for quite some time.  If it also tastes so great that your husband just can't stop talking about how marvelous it is, well then all the better!





I did very few substitutions with this recipe.  Well, maybe one big one... I didn't use deviled ham.  I actually love deviled ham but the fam aren't fans so I used shredded baked chicken in place.  I also used fresh red bell pepper instead of the pimiento.



Taste:
For some weird reason this dish tasted sweet.  Like "added sugar" kinda sweet.  I can only guess it had something to do with the 2 1/2 cups milk in conjunction with the copious amount of peas.  When I make a white sauce it has no where near that large of an amount of milk.  Mine is primarily broth with just enough milk/yogurt/cottage cheese to give it the "white sauce" look.

Appearance:
PB declined to sup with us that evening due to the meal's appearance. I wondered what kind of chemicals Birds Eye was fertilizing with to grow those peas from the original ad so huge!

Unfortunately this dish was just okay, no great overwhelming compliments to cause me to blush.

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

I bet it would have been good with the ham. hahahaha!

I'm with your fam on this one...not a big deviled ham fan. Or a pea fan. Well, I like peas, but really only the small ones. Frozen peas are just weird to me. lol.

Anonymous said...

Those peas look like English Marrowfat peas, which we buy canned on Amazon (Batchelor’s Bigga Peas). They’re huge and quite tasty.