Monday, September 07, 2020

Bacon and Egg Pie


Bacon and egg pie is a savory and delicious dish that can be put together quickly and takes only about 30 minutes to bake.  I found the below vintage image out in no-link-back internet land and could not make out the recipe.


I doubted it was much more than bacon, eggs, a crust, seasonings, shredded cheese, and the obvious product shown of evaporated milk.  Sure enough on the Carnation website they had a recipe that fit this to the letter!  They call it Quiche Lorraine, ooh la la!



Here is my slightly altered recipe:

One unbaked pie crust
6 slices turkey bacon cut into pieces
1 cup Fat Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese
12 oz Fat Free Evaporated Milk
5 eggs, beaten
seasoning of your choice (I used Tony's creole seasoning) added to beaten eggs
Green onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sprinkle cheese and chopped up bacon on bottom of pie crust.  Turkey bacon doesn't have to be precooked.  Pour egg and seasoning mixture into pie crust. Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Sprinkle chopped green onions on each piece before serving.  I tried to get fancy by making my green onions into garnish curls.  To do this you cut green onions into short strips and soak in ice water for a few minutes. 

I thought this dish was very good, velvety smooth!  I could see adding a vegetable such as chopped fresh spinach or broccoli florets to boost up it's nutritional value.



2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Oh yum! Good old quiche :) I make mine without the crust (gluten free...easier than making a gluten free crust!). The favorite around here is ham, spinach, and swiss cheese, but I like it with sausage and cheddar.

my house is cuter than yours said...

Without a crust would be a great calorie reducer, so I like that idea! I was going to put spinach in this one but was trying to keep mine looking similar to the original for photo sake. All of your suggestions sound yummy!