Sunday, September 13, 2020

National Peanut Day



Happy National Peanut Day!  To celebrate I made us a Nutter Butter Cake!
This cake was a delicious peanut overload: Peanut cake, peanut frosting, crushed and whole nutter butter cookies.  I think it would have been cute to fashion the cookies to look like Mr. Peanuts!



I can't take claim for this fantastic peanutty idea { original recipe here} which happens to be a modern recipe. Every now and again a decent idea is brought to the table in current decades. I make vintage recipes 95 % of the time but when I come across a new one that involves interesting twists using weird or fun ingredients (picklesmacaroni molded into a brain shape, or a sweet potato cake with potato chip topping) I am stoked to try it out.
 I usually just put up a link to the recipe's website and tell every one to hop on over to get the deets.  However it has been happening too many times that the source is removed and I am pissed because I don't have access to the recipe anymore.  So I am going to start including the recipe here but be wary it will be my version with my changes.


Nutter Butter Cake
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. loosely packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. crunchy peanut butter
1/2 c. fat free yogurt (or sour cream)
1 tbsp. almond extract
large eggs
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. skim milk
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease cake pans. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together butter, sugars, and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add yogurt, eggs, and extract, and mix until smooth.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, beating until just combined. Pour in the milk and mix until fully incorporated. Add remaining dry ingredients and stir until just combined. 
  3.  Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into each comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool before frosting.
Peanut Cream Frosting
2/3 cup unsalted butter softened
1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter

Cream butter thoroughly.  Add 1 cup sifted confectioners sugar gradually and cream until very light and fluffy.  Add 1/2 cup peanut butter, a small amount at a time, creaming well after each addition.  Add 1/2 cup confectioner sugar cream til smooth. 


Decorate cake with Nutter Butter cookies, whole and/or crushed. To get the peanuts to stand on the top layer of the cake I used wide bamboo toothpicks behind the cookies to prop them up.

🥜    🥜    🥜    🥜   🥜   🥜
Pick this past peanut post where I crafted up some peanut fashion accessories: 

National Peanut Day 2015



2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Oh that looks scrumptious, Mary! I love peanut butter, but I don't eat it very often.

my house is cuter than yours said...

I don't eat peanut butter on it's own either. It's not a texture I like. I feel like it's trying to choke me. But I do like it globbed up with sugar such as peanut butter frosting or in cookie form or Reese's pieces!

~mary~