Friday, September 25, 2020

A birthday cake


It's going to come to fruition that we all are going to have a "quarantine birthday"....maybe even a few by the state of how things are going.
For my birthday this year I didn't do much decorating.  No color coordinated streamers or balloons.... just a cake.  I figured if I wanted to make it to my next birthday I had better not be out and about searching for the perfect shade of pink napkins.

{For my cake flavor I went with our favorite: Hummingbird Cake .}



Last year's birthday theme was inspired by a set of vintage napkins I bought on ebay.  I then decided that for my future birthdays I would pick out a vintage birthday thingamabob and decorate around it.  After a few years I should build up a nice little collection and then use those things together as my decorating theme of random vintage birthday stuffs there on out.  
This year's addition is oh so cute!


Wooden hand painted animal picks/ candle holders in their original packaging!  The holes drilled into their noggins for the candles were too small so I just used them as decorative picks.  I was very careful with opening the package and have everything intact still so I can display them either way.

For my birthday dinner we stayed home since restaurants are full of covid cooties (I don't trust take out either).  I decided it would be fun to have something that I loved to eat as a child...frozen fried chicken!  When the world was normal I never bought it because the professionals at Popeye's know how to do it right.  I thought this was a great opportunity to not force normalcy but go with alternative but meaningful options.  We went all out with instant mashed potatoes, gravy in the jar, canned corn, and frozen biscuits that are baked in the oven.  It was a fun childhood comfort meal and the frozen fried chicken was like eating/enjoying a memory.  Mr. Husband also got me a bunch of lovelies from ebay (vintage papery stuff/ Mr. Potato Head set featuring Frankie Frank but I like to call him Willie Wiener!) that I will scan/photo and post in the future. 

It turned out to be a nice quarantine birthday at home...

 
Bonus birthday bit:
Mr. Husband put this magnetic letter message on the toaster for me to find.

4 comments:

Jennilee said...

Oh my gosh! Those are adorable!!!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Jennilee!

Monica said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! We still will not go out to a restaurant, cooties! I loved banquet frozen fried chicken as a child! My Mom used to make it all the time(well, heat it up!) Hope you had a great quarantine birthday!!!

my house is cuter than yours said...

Ha! yes, Monica! it was Banquet brand frozen fried chicken! Thanks for the birthday wishes
~mary~