Monday, September 14, 2020

Lemon Blossom Pie



 I came across this ad for Lemon Blossom pie and had to attempt to make that awesome center flare!  I could not fully make out the recipe for the suggested pie so I went with a re-attempt of Opie's Lemonade Pie.



I think the flare turned out looking pretty decent.  To make the flare pieces I used rolled out pie crust dough and free hand cut out the pieces with a knife then baked on a cookie sheet.  I ask that you ignore my horrible bulky crust edging though.  It might be time for me to step away from the powdered box pie crusts and try out a real recipe.  This stuff is just not working for me.

Opie's Lemonade Pie filling worked out wonderful this time.
 In my first attempt the pie filling never set and I called it Piedding (Pudding like pie).  It tasted great but was runny.
This time I put the beaters and the mixing bowl along with the condensed milk inside the freezer until everything was chilled.  I also noticed something that I don't think I did before.  The original recipe calls for a 6 oz can of frozen lemonade.  There's no such thing.  There are 12 ounces in a container and I am pretty sure I used the entire can before...hence why it was probably so runny.  Oops!

Food packaging in mid century times was different, usually having smaller quantities, which could explain this 6 oz can deal.  Only this recipe is from a more modern book. I assumed the recipes were either new or updated for now.  That's what I get for assuming, I guess.  But I have to admit I liked the flavor of the runny recipe a bit better.  It was much more tart with the double dose of lemonade.  Sooo...now I got to figure out how to use all of the lemonade but not get a runny pie....

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Oh Mary! Your version is so pretty! I just love your flowers :)

I tried to find a better picture of the recipe to see if I could make it out, but I had a hard time too. Best I can make out is that it looks like a lemon cream pie (egg yolks for thickener, plus unflavored gelatin, sugar, lemon juice, ect), but I think I would go for the lemonade pie, too. For added lemon flavor without being runny, maybe try some lemonade powder. I've made a pink lemonade cake with that before and it turned out really well!

my house is cuter than yours said...

I thought I could make out egg yolks in the recipe too, but that's all I could see. I love your idea of using lemonade powder! Such a good idea! I'll have to keep that in mind for next time!

~mary~