Wednesday, September 02, 2020

Baked Hamburger Sandwich



Here is a quick and simple dish I made inspired by an ad from 1962 called American Hamburger Sandwich:


or Baked Hamburger Sandwich in 1960:

The recipe requires a can of Hamburger Steak and Onions, of which I don't think is made anymore, and that is probably a good thing.  The other prime component is scone dough, and in my mind equals biscuit dough.
Since this canned Hamburger Steak and Onions isn't going to happen I was free to do my normal thing with making up the recipe.  Sloppy Joe seemed like the kinda filling I would like in a Baked Hamburger Sandwich so that's what I went with.  Use your own favorite recipe because mine as follows is pretty vague: brown in a skillet 1 pound of ground turkey with onions, add 1 can of tomato sauce, and spices such as Tony's and garlic salt, simmer for a bit.  I then mixed up a batch and a half of Jiffy biscuit mix (luckily for you all there is a recipe for this on the side of the box).  I placed half of the dough on the bottom of a glass 8x8 baking dish.  Next layer down the meat mixture.  I then placed a few slices of American cheese on the meat (making this a Baked Cheese Hamburger Sandwich).  Lastly roll out the rest of the biscuit dough to fit over the top of the meat.  I also sprinkled some shredded cheese on top before putting into the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.


It was very tasty as one would expect.  You can put just about anything on a biscuit and it will turn out pretty good.  Well, maybe not jello.  I don't think that will ever catch on.

2 comments:

Jennilee said...

Your version looks way better than the original, Mary, and sounds tastier, too!

my house is cuter than yours said...

oh yes! Hamburger steak and onions in a can sounds bad...real bad.