Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Congo Squares


"Congo squares have all the crisp, crunchy goodness of Toll House Cookies with a taste you'll say is different and extra good.  They're a pleasure to make and a pleasure to serve... so rich and satisfying, so appetizing in appearance.  Delight your family's semi-sweet tooth with this appealing taste treat!"



I didn't read that pitch before making these bars.  If I had I would have caught on to the "crisp, crunchy" part and realized it really means "rock, bricky".


I had only seen the lovely illustration of the Congo line of treats.  Bar treats are never the texture of cement so I tried this recipe out in hopes of a chewy, moist treat.  I didn't set a timer (never do) and once out of the oven and sliced they were perfect!  The disappointment came in the next day when I retrieved one of these bars to discover I could use them now as hammers.  I figured it was my fault, I had overbaked them, and maybe that is still a bit of the case.  But now reading the ad, these are meant to be tooth chippers.  Mr. Husband has been treating them like biscotti and dipping them in his tea to eat.  I am not a fan of home-baked crunchy cookies so these are not worth the effort to me.  If you like eating cinder blocks here's the recipe:

Congo Squares
2 3/4 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
2 1/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup nuts
1 package chocolate morsels

Mix and sift flour, baking powder, salt in a bowl. In separate bowl combine melted shortening and brown sugar.  Stir until well mixed.  Allow to cool slightly.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add dry ingredients, then nut meats, then chocolate morsels.  Pour into greased pan and bake at 350 degrees 25-30 minutes.  Yields 48 bars.  When almost cool cut into bars 2 x 2.    

 

3 comments:

Jennilee said...

This is why I am not a fan of bar cookies. Yes, they take less time to make, but in my opinion they are not as good. I have never met a soft, chewy bar cookie (I do not put brownies in the same category!). They *always* turn out crispy and "hard"

my house is cuter than yours said...

you're right! Bars can be mostly bricks! I have made a cherry bar treat (non-vintage) that turns out really good and chewy, although not a cookie bar:
http://www.redcottagechronicles.com/baking/cherry-chews/

Jennilee said...

Thanks for sharing that recipe, Mary! They look wonderful and I love cherry! Will definitely try them this holiday season.