Friday, April 01, 2022

Cleaning Week: Such a Thrill!

 


Yes, it's just such a thrill to wash dishes isn't it?!  

This vintage brand of dish soap has always given me a chuckle.  It's also a bit of an inside joke that my mom and I had.  We loved to extra hate on pink dish soap.  I can't remember it's origin story but growing up, us and fam all had pink dish soap because it was cheap.... but it sucked something awful.  Weak suds and even weaker cleaning.  She and I would just randomly shake our fists at the sky and exclaim with anger "Pink Dish soap!".   After several years this dish soap disappeared from the shelves leaving us with just plain old dish soap that worked.  But we still carried on with our joke for decades.  Shopping at the grocery store we would peruse the selection of soaps and comment on the lack of pink dish soap like it was a elite specialty item.  We shifted out pure hate into a sarcastic appreciation and it always made us laugh. 

As an ending to Cleaning Week I thought it would be fun to do a little craft, something to fancy ourselves up after a long week of scouring, something of a commemorative "badge".


A nice pair of Thrill earrings!


Print out the thrill bottle from either image in this post in your preferred size.  Mine are 2 1/2 inches...I like my earrings big and gaudy! Next cut out and glue your images down to thicker paper like poster board or scrapbook paper.  Next coat the image in something that will make the ear rings more substantial and protected.  I used Mod Podge Dimensional Magic.  After they have fully dried it's up to you how you want them to hang.  You could just glue a flat stud earring base on to the back near the bottle tip.  I wanted mine to be dangly so a glued a loop of jewelry beading wire on the back and above the bottle tip.  I then painted some thrifted ball earrings in nail polish to match.  Lastly just slip on the wire loop over the earring post and wear!


Here is a photo to help show how I made these.  The Dimensional Magic made the single layer of poster board curve so I added an addition piece of poster board to the back to help flatten the bottle.  This also covered the hot glued bit of wire as well.  I am going to eventually add a bit of decorative scrap book paper to fancy up the poopy looking backs!

2 comments:

Monica and Rob said...

So Cute! I remember this soap! Maybe you need a brooch to match!

my house is cuter than yours said...

I think you're right!