Monday, October 15, 2018

Batty Dress




When the Halloween season hits I start jonesing to do some crafting...gotta hot glue something, stitch something, make some what-nots and doo-dads!  For my first project I went with a new Halloween dress.



I found the fabric at Joann.  Close up below:


I used this vintage 1960s pattern:



Every time I look at the cover of the pattern envelope I see those two b*tches glaring at me and saying 'Like No, you can't sit with us! As if!'  I think the girl in the green dress is just a 'hanger-on".  I really love those red shoes on miss blondie though!

So for this pattern design I see an A line dress with some looseness in the middle and hip region, kinda babydoll style.   Comfy and perfect for when my middle section happens to be a little "wide load" ish.  And that peter pan collar and cuffed sleeves! Well, that is not what  happened when I stitched it up.  I haven't gotten into that 'make a muslin' first thing because what the heck am I going to do with a scratchy off white dress afterward?!  I just jump into it and see what happens.
I don't even know how to explain what it looked like, oddly flouncy in the top yet the hip region was form fitting, also the shoulders were apparently intended for football players, wide and bulky.  I had to add in some front darts and very wonkingly take up the sleeve/shoulders. For these photos I had to wear my most boobalious bra to fill in the flouncy space I couldn't dart in.
Oh, and also somehow the collar turned out off center, which means the buttons are off center too.



It's just a mess.  I fixed it up the best I could though.

Those 1960s McCall's cool girls are definitely gonna heckle me in the halls.

3 comments:

Jennilee said...

Super cute dress Mary! You can't about the collar and buttons in the pictures, so it must not be off center by much. Your hair looks great, too!

jungle dream pagoda said...

You look absolutely wonderful !!! That dress certainly looks good in pics !!!
I'm working on a little Halloweenie brooch. Hopefully I will even have an excuse to wear it !


my house is cuter than yours said...

The dress looks good because I only posted the few photos that made it look ok! Everything wrong on the dress is just slightly off, so as long as I don't let anyone look at it for too long I think I can get away with it's wonkiness! I do appreciate the kind comments though!