Monday, July 29, 2019

Estate Thrift Sale Finds




Here is a group of fun stuff I picked up during a good day of estate sale-ing and thrifting.

Down the street from our home is a mid century house that I like to call Granny's house.  It has a nicely manicured lawn, beautiful brick, and the front door is painted my favorite shade of fern green.  When we went for walks and would pass by I would always comment on that being a great Granny house.  Well, I think you know where I am heading with this...Granny must have passed away recently, because the estate sale I went to was at her old abode.  It was kinda nice to get to see what it looked like on the inside, but wasn't as neat as the exterior.  The best part of the house was a huge addition behind the garage which was a rumpus room!  It had a huge pool table, a ping pong table, and lots of games, some toys.  I guess that's where she sent her kids/grandkids to get them out of her hair.  There was a window in the den that looked into the rumpus room so she could make sure no one was shooting an eye out or anything.
I found this Ring Toss game (3 bucks) in the rumpus room.  It's missing some rope rings but it's really great just for the box graphics!


Also got one of Granny's aprons (5 bucks):


And a rabbit fur hat (7 bucks).  The metal warmer stand (2 bucks) on the right was from another estate sale I went to that same day.  It had a sticker on it that claimed it was 24 kt. gold...plated.  Whoppee dee do.  I couldn't get it to clean up well so I have since spray painted it black and am planning on using it as a little plant stand.


I got the Cafe' Du Monde coffee can (1 buck) from Granny's garage.  It was full of nails, screws, etc kinda stuff. I have turned it into a planter.  The measuring cups (1 buck) are also from Granny.  The mini micro planter (1 buck) came from the same sale as the "plant stand" above.  In the listing photo for Granny's sale, there were a set of Decoware tin canisters in turquoise.  I have been slowly compiling a collection of this color when I come across it cheap, which is pretty rare.  I have the waste basket and the serving tray.  I was about 5th in line and when I bee lined for the kitchen where they were suppose to be they were gone.  I figured someone else had nabbed them which I highly doubted considering the people ahead of me were slow moving old fogeys. I decided to ask the estate sale head and she told me that the night before the sale some of the family came in and grabbed stuff, including those canisters (which violates their contract) but oh well, what are you going to you do?


After I hit up the estate sales, I swung into a near-by thrift store and was quite surprised to find this vintage Asian couple ceramic figurine (3 bucks).  At one time there were either little bits of chain or cording connected from their shoulder harness to the black pots on their sides.  The pots are way too small to be planters so I am not sure what was originally intended for them...toothpicks?


{Also, Granny's was where I got these vintage vanity organizers.}

Not too bad for all of it adding up to about 25 bucks!

No comments: