Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The Haunted Mansion 1969



Welcome foolish mortals... to the Haunted Mansion Birthday Party!

For Mr. Husband Sir's 50th birthday theme I choose one of his most favorite Disney Park rides, The Haunted Mansion, which also happens to turn 50 years old this year as well!

"Our tour begins here in this gallery..."


"Where you see paintings of some of our guests as they appeared in their corruptible mortal state..." 

I printed out large format copies of the stretching portraits and made frames around them with painted cardboard.  Hanging from above is a skeleton with a noose as a reference to the "Of course, there's always my way..." guy in the stretching room.


"Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding..."

Hidden Mickeys in the tableware, similar to the ballroom birthday scene.


"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat, call in the spirits where ever they are at!"

I pulled out several of our Halloween pieces to decorate with such as the Madame Leota crystal ball I made a few years back.
Antique funerary candle stands flank the buffet with prints of the brass bats that adorn the roped queue area before boarding your doom buggy.


"Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it your imagination?"

On top of the sideboard are a few Haunted Mansion collectibles: a set of vintage Disneyland Haunted Mansion postcards, and 2 modern pieces (the ghost horse hearse and a doom buggy ride car).


"Beware of hitchhiking ghosts!" 

The hitchhiking ghosts are a large format print that I attached to a big piece of cardboard.  The 'wallpaper' is a roll of purple wrapping paper from dollar tree with 8x10 printed images of the Haunted Mansion design taped on.  I draped everything in old moss which I always keep a big bag of for Halloween decor.

I like to have Mr. Husband Sir's birthday theme be a surprise, which can make it a bit difficult with all of the making and setting up.  I keep everything I am working on in the (W)Rec room (as in Wreck room).  Which is what I call our garage turned laundry room, storage, and craft space because it's usually a wreck in there!  I then set everything up while he is at work so it's a big reveal when he walks through the door.  Oh and then there is the cake also...That's up next!

"If you would like to join our jamboree,
 There's a simple rule that's compulsory,
Mortals pay a token fee,
 Rest in Peace, the haunting's free,
So hurry back, we would like your company!"

👻👻👻

Some past posts with more Haunted Mansion:
Beware of hitchhiking ghosts! Halloween Costumes
Hat Box Ghost O Lantern

Past Mr. Husband B-day parties based after other Disney Rides:


2 comments:

Rob and Monica said...

That is so cool! You put so much work into that theme but it sure looked great when done! (Rob)

my house is cuter than yours said...

Thanks Rob! I keep telling the boys that next year for their birthdays it's going to be just cake and presents. But then I'll come up with an idea and I'm off making stuff!

~mary~